What curtains get dirty most often? Sprinkles flying from the stove and accidental touching of dirty hands often leave oil traces on them.
Way to Clean Curtains:
- Preparation for cleaning
- We remove fresh stains with improvised means
- Household chemicals for removing greasy traces
- We remove obsolete pollution
Preparation for Cleaning
Before moving on to action, you need to evaluate the following points:
- The scale of the disaster. Washing is stressful for any fabric, even the most durable. If the stain is single, it makes sense to try to remove it locally, without removing the curtain from the cornice.
- The time of the appearance of the oil trace. Removing fresh stains is not that difficult with gentle detergents. Stubborn dirt will require harsh cleaners, soaking and washing.
- The type of fabric from which the curtain is made. Different materials respond differently to the same cleaning methods. While linen and cotton react calmly to most substances, polyester is selective for them.
When all questions are answered, you can start choosing a detergent and processing method.
We Remove Fresh Stains with Improvised means
If a greasy mark has just appeared, and there is no desire or opportunity to remove the kitchen curtain from the eaves, the following products are suitable as cleaners:
The place of contamination is wiped with a cotton pad moistened with warm water. Then, using it, gently apply the detergent to the stain. After 15-20 minutes, again armed with a damp swab, remove the greasy mark.
The powder is poured onto a gauze swab or cotton wool and rubbed into a soiled cloth moistened with water. When the product dries, its remains must be brushed off with a sponge.
Soda and Lemon Juice.
A palm is placed under the soiled area so that the fabric takes a horizontal position. Sprinkle the spot with lemon juice and sprinkle with soda on top. When the hissing stops, the curtain is left for a quarter of an hour, and then the remaining cleaner is washed off from it. Before using, it is worth considering that lemon juice has a weak whitening effect.
Starch or Salt.
The agent is used to cover the greasy spot in several steps, each time cleaning off the powder that has absorbed the oil. In order not to hold the curtain during the action of the substance, it is diluted with water to a state of gruel and only after that it is applied to the stain.
The curtains are washed from the inside out by pressing a paper towel to the front. To prevent the formation of halos around the contaminated area, before the curtain cleaning service, the edges of the stain are moistened with water or sprinkled with starch (chalk, talcum powder).
If the stains are fresh but numerous, the best way to remove them is to soak them in one of the following formulations:
Laundry Soap and Soda.
The curtain is rubbed with a bar and dipped in a warm soda solution (1 tsp. Per 10 l). After 3 hours, the wash is carried out.
Dishwashing Liquid and Washing Powder
Curtain soaking time – half an hour.
The curtain is immersed in a basin for an hour and a half, then washed. If the stains have not gone away, the soaking time is doubled.
A hot iron will remove fresh oil traces from durable fabrics. Place napkins on both sides of the stain and iron until all the fat is absorbed into the paper. Crushed chalk can be poured into the place of contact of the iron with the fabric, and then cover with a napkin.
Household Chemicals for Removing Greasy Traces
If there is no trust in sparing folk methods, you can turn to household chemicals.
- Pencil stain remover, for example, Faberlic, Meine Liebe and Dr Beckmann. The stained area of the curtain is moistened and then treated with a cleaner. After 10 minutes, the product is washed off with warm water.
- Dry spray against stains. The stain remover is sprayed on the greasy print and left to dry completely. When the aerosol turns into white flakes, it is brushed off the curtain with a dry brush. Suitable for curtains or any colour and texture.
We Remove Obsolete Pollution
Removing stubborn grease stains is a little more difficult. For this, various methods and means are used.
1.Mechanical Cleaning Method:-
A section of the curtain with ingrained fat is brought to the spout of a boiling kettle or held over a saucepan, from which steam is pouring, for several minutes. After that, it is washed in soapy water. A stronger effect is obtained by treating the spot with a steam generator.
When choosing an industrial product, you should focus on the colour and composition of the product.
Grease from white curtains perfectly removes laundry soap with a whitening effect.
Substances that can be found in any kitchen, pantry or home medicine cabinet effectively fight old greasy traces. They are used separately and in the following combinations:
- Ammonia (60 ml), 9% vinegar (60 ml), table salt (30 g). The mixture is carefully rubbed into the contaminated cloth and left for a quarter of an hour.
- Laundry soap and ethyl alcohol (arbitrary proportions).
- Acetone and refined gasoline, taken in equal proportions.
- 3% peroxide dissolved in water (30 ml per 1 litre). The curtain is soaked in the product for an hour and a half.
- An aqueous solution of 9% vinegar (15 ml per 1 litre). The exposure time to pollution is 1-3 hours.
- Ammonia (5 ml), glycerin (15 ml), water (15 ml). The mixture is applied to the product for 15 minutes.
After local curtain cleaning of stains, the curtains are washed by hand or in an automatic machine.